Saturday, December 29, 2007

Catching up

I've let this blog sit and collect dust this fall, but I haven't forgotten it. It's just been a difficult few months; I've had several singing commitments that required significant rehearsal times, and then my dad was in the hospital for a month (3 weeks, 1 week home, 1 more week in) starting the day before Thanksgiving. He's much better now and I won't give a detailed report here, partly because it was very complicated, but he's turned the corner.

My job while he was in the hospital (and my mom was there 16 hours/day in Beaumont and 24/7 the two weeks he was in Houston) was to keep up with the house and bills and take care of myself and our pets (and go to rehearsals and performances). I didn't do any of them very well but I got through them all. Here is a ten-day sample of what happened in our house this month:

  • Dec 14th & 15th: Dad's been home two days, very weak. Home health (they came every day). Two very long rehearsals for me for Messiah. My 17-year-old cat had a seizure.
  • Sunday, 16th: Sing at church in the morning, Messiah performance in the afternoon. Dad's siblings drove over from Houston.
  • Monday, 17th: Put my cat to sleep and buried her in the back yard. I'd had her 15 years, since my first semester in law school. Cleaning ladies came to clean the house. I went shopping (not for Christmas, for my mom).
  • Tuesday, 18th: Dad still feeling so bad he goes to the cardiologist and they admit him to St. E.
  • Wednesday, 19th: Dad in St. E. I had a long church choir rehearsal in the evening for our Christmas concert. My mom, who usually goes to bed at 8pm, went Christmas shopping and didn't get home until 10:30p.m.
  • Thursday, 20th: Dad in St. E. He got a pacemaker in the afternoon, anticipated but very suddenly scheduled. My church choir concert in the evening. I had a big solo so I couldn't really skip any of this. My dad made my mom leave him and come to my concert! (He was feeling better already.)
  • Friday, 21st: Dad in St. E. Mom and I both got to go to Christmas parties in the evening.
  • Saturday, 22nd: Dad in St. E. My brother arrived for the holidays. My mom went to Walmart AGAIN.
  • Sunday, 23nd: I sang at church in the morning. Dad came home from the hospital.


Next post: Gearing up for the MP.

4 comments:

Laurie said...

Great to hear from you!

My mom plays bells in the choir and I was supposed to go to the program but ended up skipping it. She and my sister raved about the girl with the solo. I bet that was YOU! I'll be sure to catch the next program.

Sorry about your cat. So sad. Hope your dad is doing better.

Adela said...

Yes, thank you, that was me. I looked for you! The bells were great.

I am missing my kitty, but she had been sick about three years. She just would not give up!

Dad is feeling pretty good today but he has low blood pressure.

Adela said...

Oh! Laurie, you would appreciate that the party I went to was my church choir's annual Christmas party and it was catered by Courville's (a gift to all of us from the party's host). :-)

Laurie said...

Courville's?! Cool!